Friday, May 29, 2015

After a hard day's work.. I always wish I had more time left in my day.

After a hard day's work.. I always wish I had more time left in my day.  



Being a full time Single Mom, Girl-Friend, IT Manager, Cook, Friend, Daughter, etc., there is seldom any day left after a "hard day's work".  Being a recovering alcoholic (3 years and counting!) I can't even spend the rest of the evening relaxing with my pre-recovery bottles of wine. (Yes, that was plural.)

But... given the chance to dream.... I would love to think I could...


  • Take the 25 minute drive south to Galveston and watch the long smooth waves roll into the shore, taste the salt water breeze, listen to the seagulls scream for more, and smell the coconut lotion from the bodies on the beach below the seawall.

  • Grab a favorite old poetry book and sit on the front porch swing, taste the Lemon-Perrier bubbles as they tang my tongue. Read the onomatopoeia and alliteration aloud; hear the bells of Edgar Allan again as the sun goes down over the neighbor's house.

  • Find some old i-tunes songs on my i-pod and hook it up to the speakers, turning it so loud it makes the oven door vibrate, then dance around the house in my cotton nightie singing at the top of my lungs, "Risky Business" style.

  • Pull out a frozen Stouffer's Vegetable Lasagna, heat it up in the microwave, and then sit down in front of a sitcom from the past (thanks to Exfinity, we can even get Murphy Brown now!) and laugh until my stomach aches -- with no interruptions about ANYTHING.

  • Drive down the street to "US NAILS" and get a nice mani/pedi-massage from the wonderful Korean women working there, without worrying about what would be happening at home without me - in other words, guilt-free.

  • Go for walk down the street and around the block. Taking the time to talk to my neighbors and learn the names of their children, pets, and husbands.  Actually getting some EXERCISE to work the spread off of my middle.
Instead, I will probably put together another dinner, bug my son to do his chores, make sure the dog is fed/watered/walked, and fall into bed, exhausted.

/******************************************************************/

Check out Kristi of Finding Ninee‘s (our host) Finish the Sentence Friday post here & Michelle of Crumpets and Bollock‘s (our co-host) here; at the bottom of each of their posts, you can click to see all the other blog hop participants’ entries. This week’s sentence was “After a hard day’s work. . . “

5 comments:

  1. Love how you listed all the things you want to do and then what you would probably do...awesome. Same here...I wind up falling asleep in my son's bed and wake up even more exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so want to do all of the things you want to do as well. It'd be so nice to have more time at the end of every day. Also congratulations on three years! I'll fall into bed tonight exhausted too. Sigh. One of these days though maybe there will be more time right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think the best way to handle poetry is to read aloud - whether to someone else or just to yourself. That sounds perfect. And Poe is one of my favorites, so even better. Your list of after the day things sounds great - I could do many of those and be quite happy about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list of things to do to relax! I hope that you'll eventually be able to do at least some of them! Perhaps, a quick walk and chat with the neighbors? That one, at least, seems pretty short and easy to squeeze into your end of day routine...

    Good luck, and congrats on your three year anniversary! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to all of the above! I love the vegetable lasagne mention the best. Just yesterday my 19 year-old son and I were slogging through the basement. Cleaning. And I came across my friend's recipe for veg. lasagne. I'd been looking for it for years. Am going to whip one up this week and think I'll watch a Murphy Brown or six ...
    Congrats on your three year anniversary. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete